West Byfleet Junior School Governing Body
The role of the governing body is a strategic one, its core functions are to:
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the organisation and make sure its money is well spent
Governors work in partnership with the Headteacher and the senior leadership of the school, acting as ‘critical friends’ who both support and challenge. Governors do not get involved in the day to day operations of the school, although there are some statutory responsibilities set out by the Department for Education (DfE) in The School Governance Regulations (2013) and The Governance Handbook (March 2019).
Our governing body comprises twelve governors with one associate member. The governing body members are appointed for a term of 4 years. We operate with one full governing body meeting every term, in addition to a business meeting and budget approval meeting. Much of governors’ work is done through committees, to whom responsibilities are delegated to ensure the work the school does will deliver the strategic objectives set, and to benchmark the school’s performance against external comparators. These committees report back to the full governing body.
The Committees are:
- Children & Learning Committee which includes monitoring the attainment and progress of pupils, quality of learning, effectiveness of teaching and quality and effectiveness of the curriculum.
- Resources Committee which includes overseeing the setting and management of the school budget and ensuring the school meets its health and safety responsibilities
- Pay & Personnel Committee which includes supporting the Headteacher and senior leadership team in their management of staffing strategy including wellbeing.
In addition, we have a standing panel for Headteacher Performance Management.
Some Governors are responsible for very important link roles:
- Leadership & Management
- Inclusion, SEND & Pupil Premium
- Curriculum Links
- Sports Premium
Developing our skills and knowledge, and keeping them up to date, is very important to us. Our governors and clerk regularly attend training provided by Strictly Education 4S.
Do visit our governor list to read our pen portraits for further details about us all.
Full Governing Body (FGB) meeting dates 2019-20:
Friday 13 September 2019
Friday 13 December 2019
Friday 13 March 2020
Friday 1 May 2020
Friday 10 July 2020
The Governing Body has agreed that Full Governing Body meetings will be 'open'. Open meetings are meetings of the Full Governing Body to which members of the public, including school staff and parents, can request, in writing, to attend as observers.
Please see the attached Open Meeting protocol and note that written requests must be made to the Clerk to the Governing Body no less than 14 days before the date of the meeting. Please email email@example.com or write c/o West Byfleet Junior School.
Thank you for all your support.
Chair of the Governing Body