West Byfleet Junior School Governing Body
Message from the Chair of Governors
West Byfleet Junior School is following the latest government guidance from the Department for Education (DfE) concerning the COVID-19 pandemic to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all. Please refer to the “COVID-19 Information” area of the website for further details.
The role of our governing body is a strategic one, its core functions are to:
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the organisation and make sure its money is well spent
Governors work in partnership with the Headteacher and the senior leadership of the school, acting as ‘critical friends’ who both support and challenge. Governors do not get involved in the day to day operations of the school, although there are some statutory responsibilities set out by the Department for Education (DfE) in The School Governance Regulations 2013 (January 2014) and The Governance Handbook (October 2020).
Our governing body comprises twelve governors with two associate members. The governing body members are appointed for a term of four years. We operate with one full governing body meeting every term, in addition to a business meeting and budget approval meeting. Much of governors’ work is done through committees, to whom responsibilities are delegated to ensure the work the school does will deliver the strategic objectives set, and to benchmark the school’s performance against external comparators. These committees report back to the full governing body.
The Committees are:
- Children & Learning which includes monitoring the attainment and progress of pupils, quality of learning, effectiveness of teaching and quality and effectiveness of the curriculum.
- Resources which includes overseeing the setting and management of the school budget and ensuring the school meets its health and safety responsibilities.
- Pay & Personnel which includes supporting the Headteacher and senior leadership team in their management of staffing strategy including wellbeing.
In addition, we have a standing panel for Headteacher Performance Management.
Some Governors are responsible for very important link roles:
- Child Protection / Safeguarding / Looked After Children
- Special Educational Needs (SENd)
- Pupil Premium
- Sports Premium
- Curriculum Links (eg English, Maths, IT/E-Safety, Science)
- Education Recovery Curriculum
- Health & Safety
Developing our skills and knowledge, and keeping them up to date, is very important to us. Our governors and clerk regularly attend training provided by Strictly Education 4S and Better Governor.
Do visit our governor list to read our pen portraits for further details about us all.
Full Governing Body meeting dates 2021-22:
Friday 10 September 2021
Friday 3 December 2021
Friday 11 March 2022
Friday 29 April 2022
Friday 8 July 2022
The Governing Body has agreed that Full Governing Body meetings will be 'open'. Open meetings are meetings to which members of the public, including school staff and parents, can request, in writing, to attend as observers.
Please see the attached Open Meeting protocol and note that written requests must be made to the Clerk to the Governing Body no less than 14 days before the date of the meeting. Please email email@example.com or write c/o Clerk to the Governing Body, West Byfleet Junior School.
Thank you for all your support.
Chair of the Governing Body
Professional Negligence Statement: Advice given by governors at West Byfleet Junior School is incidental to their professional expertise and is not being given in their professional capacity.