At West Byfleet Junior School many enrichment opportunities take place in Eco education.The following activities and events are embedded as prt of educating children about the importance of Eco education and its investment in all our futures:
1. Weekly paper/card recycling. Each class, office and staffroom has recycle bags which are collected by two members of the Eco Team and then emptied by the site manager.
2. Daily food recycling. We have dedicated food recycling bins in the hall and playground and ensure this is sent away to be recycled into energy and fertilizer.
3. We recycle batteries, used pens and ink cartridges and have dedicated receptacles in reception. We also recycle school uniform on a termly basis.
4. We take part in the walk to school initiative and maximise opportunities for children to walk or cycle or even scooter to school.
5. We have very limited use of laminated sheets in school and as a staff we only use where absolutely necessary.
6. We participate in national events e.g. The Big Battery Hunt, Switch off Fortnight, The Big School Clean, Walk to School Week, Earth Hour, Earth Day, Travel Tracker Badge Design, Happy Shoesday.
7. We participate in local events, e.g. The Recycling Challenge run by Surrey Council.
8. We are currently one of 6 schools in Surrey taking part in the SATRO Energy project aimed at monitoring our electricity usage and finding ways to target improvement.